Materials and Interaction
Fraunhofer Institute for Environmental, Safety, and Energy Technology UMSICHT
FROM THE IDEA TO PERCEPTION
Modern materials can be customized in a multitude way. By chemical or structural modification, the characteristics can be optimized or multiple functions can be implemented. Here, the environmentally and at the same time user suitable formulation of the materials systems poses an important future task.
- Material and Product Design
- Processing Technology
- Biomimetics and Haptics
We regard ourselves as an experimentation laboratory for innovative materials, products and process technologies but as well as for radical new concepts that contradict established views.
Not only the broad practical experience and an industry-oriented equipment of our laboratories and technical shops are characteristic of us, but also the enthusiasm for unconventional ideas and new resource efficient and environmentally compatible solutions.
Currently we are developing self-healing, adaptive and recyclable plastics and elastomers, weather-resistant local woods, tanning processes without wastewater, self-sharpening blades, bionic systems for dental cleaning, applications for microencapsulation and innovative greening for building facades. We are interested in what a person feels when touching materials and products and what we can learn from biology for the development of materials.
- Strategies for biomimetic and sustainable material innovations
- Development of additive, particle, and material systems
- Product development and industrial design (building construction, automotive, consumer products)
- Component design and rapid prototyping
- Production of samples and process optimization in the areas of compounding, comminution, microencapsulation, impregnation, spray processes and generative manufacturing
- Utilization of supercritical fluids as auxiliary process agents
- Simulation, test and analysis of plastics, wood, leather and functional materials
Industries and target groups
- Plastic processers
- Product developers, industrial designers
- Materials and additives manufacturers
- Sealing and surface technology companies
- Manufacturers of processing technologies